A report by Capgemini Consulting and the MIT Center for Digital Business found that the most successful companies are those going digital – with a 26 percent higher profitability. Who knew that letting go of paper and trading into digital could increase your bottom line by that much!
In an interview with Capgemini’s Global Practice Manager, Didier Bonnet, it was stated that the most successful companies that went digital did the following:
• Stayed committed! Successful businesses that went digital didn’t do it as an experiment, but as a complete company transformation.
• Applied digital technology to what they did the best or the most of, whether it was sales, customer experience, or compiling customer data, in order to have a clear starting point from which to build.
• Made sure all of their business investments were “digital” first.
A Bottom Line Example…
A local construction company here in our town knew they were losing money and productivity because they had no systems in place – and worse, they were tracking everything on paper in lieu of digital technology.
In order to reel things in they purchased software and also iPads to manage their construction teams, inventory and service processes. With GPS built into the iPads, and software that had each construction worker sign in and out from the jobs they were on, a huge positive impact hit this small business’s bottom line. No longer could workers “claim” they were on a job for 6 hours when in fact they were only there for 2… and that is only one of many positive changes that going digital had.
To really take advantage of digital technology, you can’t just give iPads or some kind of gadget or technology to your work or sales force. You need to be sure that you have software, processes and training in place so that your digital investment pays off to the maximum. The more you commit, the more you’re going to get out of it.
The digital revolution, driven by cloud and mobile technology, has also lowered entry barriers to accessing enterprise-level technology for growing your small business.
These days, the availability of internet-based cloud services for everything from document storage to email and collaboration tools is a huge boost for small business owners.
Using the cloud allows for buying services on-demand with a more cost effective subscription platform – and the flexibility to scale business needs up or down at any time.
And then there is mobile connectivity that enables you and your employees to access cloud-based services from anywhere and any device, whether from a PC in the office, from a tablet out on the road, or working from home with a laptop and smartphone like we do all the time at Showcasing Women.
Mobile connectivity is allowing small businesses to process credit card and debit purchases from literally anywhere in the world by simply using a smartphone or tablet. And companies like Visa Business are providing tools and resources to easily integrate with your digital technology for greater productivity.
The digital revolution is a big leveler for small business owners, giving them the platform to compete locally, nationally and globally on an equal playing field with larger and more established companies!
Here at Showcasing Women, we have converted into a paperless business with a more profitable bottom line by using digital and cloud technologies. These are just a few things that we use:
• For incoming faxes we use Kall8.com and all faxes are delivered to our email inbox. For sending a paper document that isn’t already in document form in our computers, we scan it and email it… no more fax machine!
• For virtual communications and screen sharing we use Skype.
• For document sharing and having back-ups of important documents, we use Dropbox.
• For processing credit cards we use Square… it turns your smartphone or tablet into a credit card reader.
• We use GoogleVoice for our voice messaging and receive an email every time a message is left.
We could go on with a long list of tools that we use in order to remain virtual, mobile and fully digital with our team around the country. The point is that going paperless, going digital, and streamlining your business will add profits to your bottom line without fail!
“This article is reprinted with permission by ShowcasingWomen.com, the Premier Resource For 30+ Million Women Entrepreneurs. Visit them for free instant access to their Success Tools.”